What is type 1?
What does type 1 mean?
This is a Japanese-developed single-phase charging plug (charging coupling), exclusively for the vehicle-side (also called female or clutch) charging port.
The maximum charging power is 7.4 kW at 230V AC. The plug type has 5 plug contacts two contacts for single-phase AC, one ground, and two signal contacts, which are compatible with IEC 61851-2001 / SAE J1772-2001. This type1 plug is more likely to be found on vehicles from the American and Asian area.
You need a type 1 charging coupling or charging cable, for example. for the following vehicle models
- Chevrolet Volt,
- Citroen C-Zero / Berlingo Electrique,
- Fisker Karma,
- Ford Focus Electric,
- Honda Jazz Hybrid / Insight HEV,
- Kia Soul EV,
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV and Outlander,
- Nissan LEAF / e-NV200,
- Opel Ampera,
- Peugeot iOn and Partner Electric,
- Renault Fluence Z.E. and Kangoo Z.E.,
- Toyota Prius / Prius Plus / iQ EV / Auris HSD / Yaris